The land in villages north of Mora was seldom good for farming, but it was rich in raw materials and there was a long history of making iron and working with metals. Erik Frost's village, Östnor, was one of these.
Östnor largely rests on a bed of fine sand. In time, the villagers learned to make use of the sand, which was excellent for forge welding and they cast bell parts, buckles, cranes and other objects, mostly of brass.
In Öna, a neighbouring village to Östnor, Bud-Carl Andersson started making timber sleds around the close of the 1880s. A new factory was built around 1890 on Badstubacken, right across from the old fire station. The timber sleds’ iron-clad runners were made of hard birch and Carl realised that the many bits of left-over birch would make good knife handles. He already had a forge and he had long been making knives for his own purposes. Carl Andersson had been listed in the The Swedish Trade Directory under “knife makers” as early as 1890.
Besides crafting objects for the home and the local parish, goods were also made to sell beyond Dalarna's reach. From the 16th century to the beginning of the 20th century, regional villagers travelled to various parts of the country to sell their wares. Craftsmen came in contact with other regions and traditions, which stimulated their sense of business and innovation.
It was here Frost-Erik Ersson returned to in 1891 after he worked for four years as a lumberjack in North America. Home to the village Östnor in Mora where he started a factory making sleds and carriages with accessories, dough dockers, cone pickers, timber handling tools and knives. Frosts Knivfabrik.
Businessmen Krång-Johan Eriksson and Lok-Anders Mattsson founded the knife factory, Eriksson & Mattssons Knivfabrik in 1912. The company that would eventually become KJ Eriksson AB.
In 2005 KJ Eriksson AB acquired Frosts Knivfabrik, and the company changed its name to Mora of Sweden AB.